New & Interim Chair Resources Toolbox
More information about ADFM programs & offerings for new chairs and senior leaders of Departments of Family Medicine can be found under the Programs Menu.
Interim chair "hotline" service (for new interim chairs and those being tapped to become interim chairs)
Information about ADFM
- ADFM's Strategic Workplan
- Pathway to Leadership in ADFM
- Etiquette for communicating via the ADFM Listserve
- Leadership Resource List
- Chairs are from Mars, Administrators are from Venus (video by Tom Campbell and team at University of Rochester, 2012)
- What I Wish I Knew When I Was a New Chair (Phil Diller)
- Top Lessons from Experienced Chairs (a document summarizing lessons learned by many of our chairs)
- Advice to chairs from administrators
- a resource developed by Mary Jo Welker and Tom Peterson on the interim chair role
- The Last 5 Years of the MU/ADFM New Chairs Workshop (article on the MU/ADFM New Chairs' workshop)
Additional key articles for new chairs
- Primer for the Interim Chair by Stephen M. Soltys
- Interim Department Chairs in Academic Medicine" by Kevin Grigsby, of the AAMC
- The Future-Oriented Department Chair by Kevin Grigsby, et. al.
- Five Ways to Fail as a New Leader in Academic Medicine" by Kevin Grigsby
- Bigger Chairs at Smaller Tables by Jack Ende, MD
- Chair of a Department of Medicine: Now a Different Job by John A Kastor, MD
- Embrace the Challenge: Advice for Current and Prospective Department Chairs by George F. Sheldon, MD
- Understanding the Needs of Department Chairs in Academic Medicine by Susan Lieff, et. al.
- You've Been Offered the Chair...but Do You Know Enough to Take it? by David J. Bachrach